Friday, April 1, 2011

Fried Pickles


I know, it sounds really weird. That is what I thought when I saw them on the menu at The Garden restaurant in Salt Lake. I was there with some friends and they intrigued us enough to get an order of them and try them. They were SO good! I was pleasantly surprised. The waitress shared the secret with us of how they are made and I immediately thought, "I could totally healthify that!", so I did. Here is the recipe. You have got to try this one.

Fried Pickles

Batter
2 cups spelt flour
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup Sucanat
1 jar pickle juice
2 tsp dill weed
enough water to make pancake batter consistency

Dredge
3/4 cup spelt flour
1/4 cup corn starch

Coconut oil for frying
1 jar pickles (I used the refrigerated kind, not the stuff in the isle by the olives. They have way less preservatives in them. An even better choice would be to use Bubbies pickled cucumbers. I didn't have the money to spend on them right at that time, so I settled for second best)

Mix batter ingredients together and Dredge ingredients together. Slice the pickles into spears. Heat the coconut oil to 350 degrees. Dip the pickles into the dredge and then into the batter then place into the oil. Cook for about 30 seconds or until it looks cooked and then flip over to cook other side. Can dip into this ranch dressing. This recipe will do the whole bottle of pickles. You may want to half it for a smaller family. We had plenty and we even shared with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment